Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush's "THE WHOLE STORY"

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 12:41:51 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush's "THE WHOLE STORY"
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> From: rbt@genrad.com (Robert B. Tufts)

> Supposidly this is a moderated newsgroup. I'd like to know what
> purpose the "moderation" serves, especially when the moderator sets
> such a fine example.

Well, in actuality, this is NOT a moderated newsgroup at all.  It is a
mailing list that through the eternal goodness of my heart I provide
to Usenet through a moderated newsgroup.  The mailing list was NOT
created to prevent profanity nor flaming nor to make a nice, safe,
sheltered place for the over-sensitive.  It was created because people
in "net.music" were sick and tired of hearing me flame on endlessly
about Kate Bush and I was sick and tired of listening to them say "I
don't see what's so great about Kate Bush anyway."

> I kind of expected that the original poster was "asking for it" by
> treading on "sacred ground" (of some devotee's), but the original
> poster phrased it as a "what's so special?"  opinion/inquiry, not
> "you're all idiots!".

No, you are wrong.  The original posting was highly derogatory
insulting.  It insinuated that we are all "blind worshippers" -- which
I certainly am not.  It said that material we like is "ridiculous".
It hinted that the real reason we like Kate Bush is because of her
looks, and that even in this regard we lack taste.

I'm sorry if I object to having my taste, intelligence, and sanity
questioned so flippantly, but it is to avoid this very crap that this
mailing list was formed.

> This looks like the Rushdie issue. "He doesn't like Kate! Death to
> the infidel!" Grow up Doug!

It's not a Rushdie issue at all.  The bozo can go defame us all and Kate
Bush all he wants to somewhere else.  But not here.  If someone went
into Khomenie's temple and screamed "Death to Allah", he'd deserve
whatever abuse and torture he received.

> I would also offer that it would be better that this group become
> "unmoderated" . Then at least people could use the "R" key and reply
> (or flame) privately without being sent out for everyone to see (in
> the heat of the moment).  It's a royal pain to manually type in a
> path, and I would rather see "R" work, for all the current benefits
> we are supposidly receiving by being a "moderated" group.

I feel truly sorry for you.  It must be oh so much work to do all that
typing!  In any case, I have a software fix for this problem that I
will probably implement sometime soon.

Regarding unmoderating rec.music.gaffa, I'd much sooner just pull my
mailing list off of Usenet, than give the the unwashed masses of
Usenet free reign over my mailing list.

> And now some real blasphemy:

> I like Kate Bush, BUT SHE's HUMAN! :-)

And what's so DAMN blasphemous about that?  Yes, it's quite true.
Even God is human.