Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate-echism XXI.6.iv

From: Lazlo Nibble <csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 12:18:43 MDT
Subject: Re: Kate-echism XXI.6.iv

IED writes:

>>  At the start of the track "Hounds Of Love" can be heard the lines
>> "It's in the trees" .... "It's coming"
>>  They sound like thay've been `sampled' from somewhere...
>
>      They are from a film: _Curse_of_the_Demon_, also known by the title
> _Night_of_the_Demon_, one of the best of the early Hammer horror films.
> However, they are _not_ actually sampled from the film's original soundtrack.
> Although the voice, inflection and words are all literally indistinguishable
> from the line as heard in the film, IED has been assured (secondhand) by
> John Carder Bush that the actual sounds in Kate's recording were done from
> scratch in her studio, not lifted from the film. Why such trouble was taken
> IED doesn't know, but it's yet another reason for us to revere and worship.

Gad, IED, Sigue Sigue Sputnik did the exact same thing on their last
album and for their US 12" of "Love Missile F1-11", and I really doubt
you'll be encouraging us to revere and worship them anytime soon.  More
than likely Kate was just worried about the nebulous nature of
copyright law as it regards sampling and didn't want to get into any
legal trouble . . .

                                                Lazlo (csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu)
"If you love your fun -- Die for it!"