Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Cathy demos, bootlegs

From: heath@cs.jhu.edu
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 89 12:16:25 EDT
Subject: Cathy demos, bootlegs

IED writes:
>>My own advice on the dissemination of the 'complete' Cathy Demos is
>>that we wait at least a few months to try to get originals of at least
>>the same quality as the ones we had for volume 1.
>>-- Julian
>		 But frankly, such an opinion is inane and crazy! IED is
>just plain sick of this attitude. What on Earth is wrong with you
>people? If you don't like the sound, ok, that's understandable. But
>that you could allow the _medium_ to take priority over the _message_
>is either nuts or dumb. Sound quality may be important, yes. But
>good music survives poor sound quality. If you sit around waiting till
>someone assures you the _sound_ is good enough, you severely limit
>your own potential experience.

Certainly, I consider it a great priviledge to obtain a copy of the cathy
demos tape, no matter how poor the quality. I think, however, that the reason
that some people feel like waiting is that if a hi-fi copy ever becomes
available, then there'll be less incentive to copy it. After all, everyone
in love-hounds will already have a "copy." Of course, it makes sense to
worry about the poor quality tapes now. IF and when higher quality recordings
become available, there will probably be discussion.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for live bootleg Kate recordings?
I went to my first record meet a couple of days ago and picked up the
hammersmith cd. There were a lot of different records of early live material.
Many of them seemed to have the same material. Are any in particular
recommended?

Thanks,

--
Dave Heath		heath@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu