Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK.

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 89 11:27 PDT
Subject: MisK.

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >    I have just heard that tonight (1st June) Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel,
 >Thomas Dolby and many others will be appearing at the United Nations
 >(New York) in support of the launch of the "Spirit of the Forest"
 >campaign against the destroying of the Amazonian Rain Forest.
 >    Just thought you might be interested!
 >
 >-- Stuart Williams

     Stuart! Please tell more! Where did you hear this report?
What other details were given? Was it made explicit that Kate would
actually be in New York City to appear at the UN, or was the
possibility left open that the _video_ for "Spirit of the Forest"
might simply be shown? Are you quite certain that the report you
heard wasn't just referring to the television programme _Our_Common_
Future_, in which Kate's guest-appearance in the video for _Spirit_
of_the_Forest_ was shown? And if this was June 1, why did it take L-Hs
four days to regurgitate Stuart's posting??? If Kate was actually in NYC
last weekend, a more timely transmission might have allowed an East
Coast Love-Hound to attend the event...Opportunities missed!
     Stuart, please fill in the details, if there are any. And thanks.

 > From: Richard Caley <rjc%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
 >     Same here, but only because she is considered old hat. KB is
 >remembered for Wow and Wuthering Heights. And so, to reply
 >to IED (I think), yes one probably would get put in
 >the same aesthetic category as a Collins fan.

     You underestimate your own public. _Running_Up_That_Hill_
was a massive hit in Europe and the UK, and IED would be very
surprised if the average music listener there still thought Kate
is still "old hat", as you put it. Anyway, your point is illogical, since
Collins is _definitely_ not known as an oldies artist these days, but
as a light pop hitmaker whose music fits a very, very familiar
musical genre. Almost any listener anywhere--even the most
casual--would not be likely to say that Kate's records (either the
old ones like _Wuthering_Heights_ or the new ones like _Running_Up_That_
_Hill_) fit a very familiar musical genre. IED's point is that although
Kate is perhaps as well known as Collins in the UK (perhaps even better
known, because her visual image is so strong), she is _not_ generally
thought of as an artist of Collins's _type_.

 >     Ok I'm ready to make the check out - who do I make it out to?
 >Where do I send it - and how are you going to mail the tapes -
 >in an envelope?
 >
 >--  will (a true believer in the one, the only Kate)

 Well, Will, you're lucky you wrote that after your name, otherwise
IED wouldn't bother to answer. For the _third_ time: the address is
Andrew Marvick, 10499 Wilkins Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024. As for
the envelope, you are to send your own. Find a good protective
envelope, weigh it with a sample cassette inside, and figure out
how much return postage it will need. But don't send the blank
cassette itself, as a blank will be supplied by the duping service.
Just send the check and the return-addressed, stamped envelope to
Andrew Marvick. The check should be payable to him.

 >     hello kateland, |>oug, IED, et. al.
 >now this is probably a silly question, but i'm new around here, so here
 >goes...
 >is there a difference between the demo tape and the obsKuriTies tape?
 >i'm referring to the demo tape containing 22 songs, which one can order
 >from IED.  and is there more than one demo tape?  (i.e., more than 22
 >songs taped somewhere)??
 >     thanks for the clarification...
 >
 >-- tracy(suspendedinconfusion)r

     Well, there are two Love-Hounds tapes, but there are only 22
demos total. A couple of months ago Love-Hounds went through a
maelstrom of orders, pledges, address assignments and distribution
mixups when IED offered to make a 90-minute tape of KT rarities
which included four of the twenty-two demos (all that had come
out at that time). Also on that tape were all of Kate's official
b-sides to date and a few other rare bits of KT music. More than
130 people asked for a copy of the tape, and several people volunteered
to make multiple copies and distribute them. It was pure chaos, and
|>oug (oops! :>oug) rightly chided IED for not having simply gone
to a duping service.
     Now that the full 22 songs are out, IED is doing just that.
There will also be some room left over, and IED will put a few more
rarities in that space. The first tape was referred to as both
_The_Cathy_Demos_ tape and _obsKuriTies_. The new tape is being called
_obsKuriTies_2_. "Cathy Demos" is confusing because it is already the
title of the vinyl EPs, which only contain a few tracks each, whereas
the new tape will contain all 22 tracks.

-- Andrew Marvick