Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate-echism XXI.6.iv

From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 89 01:12 PDT
Subject: Kate-echism XXI.6.iv

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

 >My own advice on the dissemination of the 'complete' Cathy Demos is
 >that we wait at least a few months to try to get originals of at least
 >the same quality as the ones we had for volume 1. Working from an n-th
 >generation copy is extremely dissatisfying, and since we've all been
 >waiting years for new Kate music we can all wait another half a summer
 >or so.
 >But that's just MHO. The only request I have is that I not be left out
 >of the loop for getting a copy (even though I will be away from my
 >beloved workstation for most of the summer :-(!)
 >
 >-- Julian

     Now don't worry, Julian, IED won't be banning you from the project
for your words. But frankly, such an opinion is inane and crazy! IED is
just plain sick of this attitude. What on Earth is wrong with you
people? If you don't like the sound, ok, that's understandable. But
that you could allow the _medium_ to take priority over the _message_
is either nuts or dumb. Sound quality may be important, yes. But
good music survives poor sound quality. If you sit around waiting till
someone assures you the _sound_ is good enough, you severely limit
your own potential experience.
     Get the music while the opportunity is there. Worry about the
damn hi-fi later! If a better copy comes out in the future, buy it too.
     You've definitely got your priorities mixed up. When will you
people come to your senses and realize that these are KATE BUSH DEMOS!
This is not "XTC" video, this is not "Joy Division" run-out grooves.
THIS IS   K A T E   B U S H   D E M O S . Got it?

 >  At the start of the track "Hounds Of Love" can be heard the lines
 >"It's in the trees" .... "It's coming"
 >  They sound like thay've been `sampled' from somewhere, and the distinct
 >break between the two phrases just adds to this suspicion. Is this the
case?  Are they from a movie perhaps? ["Hound of the Baskervilles maybe?]
 >They seem to fit in very well with the lyrics. Were the lyrics written
 >with it in mind?  Or were the ``samples'' produced afterwards?

     They are from a film: _Curse_of_the_Demon_, also known by the title
_Night_of_the_Demon_, one of the best of the early Hammer horror films.
However, they are _not_ actually sampled from the film's original soundtrack.
Although the voice, inflection and words are all literally indistinguishable
from the line as heard in the film, IED has been assured (secondhand) by
John Carder Bush that the actual sounds in Kate's recording were done from
scratch in her studio, not lifted from the film. Why such trouble was taken
IED doesn't know, but it's yet another reason for us to revere and worship.

 >  Why is KaTe referred to as KT instead of KB??
 >  And JUST WHY did Andrew Marvick choose IED0DXM as a LOGIN NAME?????
To annoy his PhD supervisor?  And what's he $damn, I really should use the
fourth person here, shouldn't I? doing it in?

     KT is what it sounds like: "Katey", a diminutive form of Kate's
name, Catherine. It comes from the name of Kate's first band,
The KT Bush Band; and Kate was also aware from early on of the KT
symbol's appearance in early English history, as the monogram of
the Knights Templar. The ID "IED" is not fraught with profound
secret meaning, although he does not discourage anyone from wracking
his/her brains in a vain search to discover one. And
Andrew Marvick's dissertation is a presentation and analysis of evidence
of eclecticism in the paintings of the British artist John William Water-
house (1849-1917) and several of his younger contemporaries, including
Arthur Hacker, Herbert James Draper, Thomas Gotch and Solomon Joseph
Solomon. Privately, however, he nurses a steadily increasing resentment
that Columbia University lacks a graduate program in Kate Bushology.

 >I must admit I cancelled my subscription to r.m.gaffa last week because,
 >well, because.  I got my _Cathy Demos_ tape today, and was sort of half-
 >listening to it, until I heard (what is for me) the last song on the...

     This is very depressing. Very depressing. Cancelled your subscrip-
tion? _Half_listening_? To KATE BUSH?   H A L F ??? Please don't write
such things in Love-Hounds, people! It's not good for IED's health.

 >Would IED be kind enough to post his address so that I can send him a check?

    He did so yesterday, but here it is again, for those who missed it:
Andrew Marvick, 10499 Wilkins Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024.

 >       Related: how much postage should be included for a cassette?  I would
 >hate to find that I hadn't included enough postage on the SSAE, and hence
 >would be delayed in receiving a copy of this tape.

     And IED would hate for that to happen to you, too. But he cannot
tell you how much to put on your envelope, since he doesn't know how
much your envelope and tape will weigh. Please either put on a bunch
of stamps to make sure, or go to the post office and ask them to weigh
and price your envelope, with a sample blank cassette inside (but don't
send the cassette, just the envelope and the money).

 >       Also related: I should like to thank IED for offering the go to the
 >trouble of having the tapes duped and handling all of the shipping logistics
 >(aside from affixing postage.)  Thank you, sir!

     You're welcome, Peter, and thank you. IED would like only one
favor in return for his services, and that is that all Love-Hounds,
and especially those who are ordering a copy of this tape, _please_
take a moment to sit down in a quiet corner of a room at some point
and contemplate the privilege that we have all been given to hear
these recordings. Try to make an image in your minds of little
Cathy Bush sitting alone--perhaps in the old barn out back with a few
lazy rats milling around nearby--and writing the lines:

 "Somebody I couldn't see
  Tied me up and put me away
       Here on the rocks..."

Then preserve that image deep in your souls for all eternity.

 > "Take my shoes off" -HoL
 > Does Kate enjoy being barefoot, as this lyric suggests?  My favorite
 > photograph of Kate clearly shows her to be shoeless.

     Actually, she does enjoy being barefoot. Most photos of her sans
footwear are shots of her either performing in concert during the
Tour of Life (she has always preferred dancing barefoot to wearing
dance slippers of any kind), or of rehearsing for video routines.
But there are also a couple of snaps of her unshod around the house.

-- Andrew Marvick