Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Dan Kozak <dbk@mimsy.umd.edu>
Date: 6 Jun 89 05:08:25 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: mimsy.UUCP

From: dbk@mimsy.UUCP (Dan Kozak)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: KB images
Date: 6 Jun 89 05:08:25 GMT

They have rather graciouly been made available by Joe Habermann
<haberman@cs.umn.edu>.  Here's what he said to do:

The image of Kate that is on the cover of TWS can
be retrieved via anonymous ftp from umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (128.101.224.1)
in the directory pub/kb.

The picture is in three formats:

	(1) kb.reg

	    A F/S rendered 1-bit rasterfile.  Will work with regular
	    resolution Sun monitors.  It's so-so.

	(2) kb.highres

	    An F/S rendered 1-bit rasterfile.  Will work with high-res
	    monitors.  Better than the regular size.

	(3) kb.8bit

	    The original 8-bit deep greyscale.  NOT useful for
	    suntools -background because suntools accepts only 1-bit
	    deep rasterfiles.  Could use with NeWS, but makes life
	    slowwwwww.  Anyway, a way to do it is to refine PaintRoot
	    in your .user.ps file:

	    (/path/for/kates/image/kb.8bit) readcanvas
	    /pic exch def
	    /PaintRoot {
	        framebuffer setcanvas clippath pathbbox scale pop pop
	            pic imagecanvas } def

All of the images are compressed and thus have the .Z extension.  They
must be uncompressed after they're retrieved before they are useful.

How to get them via anonymous ftp:

1. % ftp 128.101.224.1
2. ftp> <Name>...: anonymous
3. ftp> <Password>: [use your home machine user id - don't give your passwd!!]
4. ftp> cd pub/kb [changes your directory to where the images are]
5. ftp> binary [sets ftp into "binary" mode.  Important!]
6. ftp> hash [optional]
7. ftp> get kb.reg.Z  [and/or other kb files]
8. ftp> bye
9. % uncompress kb.reg.Z

Thanx, Joe!  I'm using the kb.highres as a background for X (via the
xbgsun program) and besides brightening my day every time I close a
window, it also gives me plenty of opprotunity to talk about one of my
favorite subjects:
	"Who's that?! She's gorgeous!"
	"Well . . . sit right down . . . I'll tell you ALL about her .
. . "

#dan

Clever:		dbk@mimsy.umd.edu | "Softly her tower crumbled in the
Not-so-clever:	uunet!mimsy!dbk   |  sweet silent sun." - Nabokov