Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

gabriel's album titles

From: jw@math.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 22 May 89 13:10:09 EDT
Subject: gabriel's album titles

>It's too bad that Geffin Records decided that thier profits were more
>important than Peter Gabriel's wish to call #4 "Peter Gabriel" as well.

Wasn't it released as "Peter Gabriel" in Europe? I thought that "Security"
was just slapped on for the North American release.

>Then his idea of having his albums be titled like a serial magazine,
>where the issue number changes instead of the title, would still be going
>on.

And just why should records have titles, anyway? Unless the album represents
a coherent piece of music (eg, The Wall) or concept (eg, SPLHCB) or both
(eg, TNW), it is usually just a collection of songs which doesn't really
merit a title. The idea of picking the most mellifluous title or the song
with the biggest hit-potential and naming the album after it always struck
me as bogus. In general, titles for albums are just convenient labels.
Peter Gabriel had the right idea, say I.

Julian

ps count me in for a trip to Europe for Tour of Life II.