Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: King Crimson

From: boulder!boulder!bernard@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Bernie Bernstein)
Date: 7 Apr 89 00:03:08 GMT
Subject: Re: King Crimson
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: boulder!boulder!news@ncar.UCAR.EDU

In article <464@pta.oz> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: munnari!pta.oz.au!davidc@uunet.UU.NET (David Clark)
>
>	Does any body have any information on King Crimson?

I know a little bit about them.  I have several of their albums and
used to be very into them.  I still enjoy their music and occasionally
put one of them on.

Everything here is from memory, so someone can correct me when I am
wrong.

>	As far as I know Robert Fripp started the band in
>	the early seventies. Adrian Belew has also been in
>	King Crimson (I think he replaced Fripp?).

Robert Fripp did in fact found the group in ~1970.
They came out with several albums; let's see how many I can remember:

  The Court of the Crimson King
  In the Wake of Poseiden
  Lark's Tongues in Aspic
  Starless and Bible Black
  USA (live)
  Red
  A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson (best of)
--5 year break
  Discipline
  Beat
  Three of a Perfect Pair

The members of the band changed very often:  some of the musicians from
the band have included:
Fripp (only one through whole history)
Bill Bruford (only one from old and new KK)
Tony Levin
John Wetton (lead vocalist before Belew)
Carl Palmer (I think)
David Cross

I wish I had some albums with me so that I can just look on the back.
No doubt Eno played on some albums, but it has been years since I read
any of the album covers.  KK has changed musicians on (just about)
every album before their breakup in 75, so the list would be very long
if I could remember them.

Belew did not replace Fripp, he just became the lead vocalist and
added his distinct feedback sound.  Fripp never was lead vocalist.  If
you have ever seen them in concert, Fripp likes to sit on a stool off
to the side of the stage where he is out of the lights.

>		I've got two of there albums , The Beat and
>	Three of a perfect Pair as well as solo albums from
>	Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew.
>	What I would like to Know is when and where they
>	started . Also any info on who has been in it!

Their old albums are excellent.  I would recommend getting them.  Not
many of them are available on CD, which is why I haven't played them
lately, and some of them are also difficult to find.

>					David C....
>	davidc@pta.oz

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-1218                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \