Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

submarine pings, WtW, Birdsongs, *roff Kate lyrics, an apology

From: (Michael J. Lamoureux) <lamour%smiley@gateway.mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 89 12:07:59 -0500
Subject: submarine pings, WtW, Birdsongs, *roff Kate lyrics, an apology

>From: cquenel@polyslo.calpoly.edu (46 more school days)
>>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>>Although it may very well be true that the sonar-ping-like sounds are
>>not authentic or accurate, I think it clear that Kate intended them to
>>be sonar pings and not cave drips....
>
>        During one of the ocurrences of these "pings",
>        I can definately hear words in the background that
>        sound like guys on a submarine, and I can fairly
>        clearly make out the word "sonar".

	The vocals Chris is talking about start at about 1:31 into Under Ice
in the left channel.  I agree that the word "sonar" is easily distinguishable.
After much playing with it, I've determined that it's easiest to hear the words
by dropping the low bands on the eq. (and the right channel, of course), but I
still can't figure out what else he is saying.
	On a semi-related topic, has anybody gone through the trouble to
digitize Waking the Witch (onto computer disk) and splice the chopped vocals
together to figure out what is being said (or am I the only one who can't
figure them out)?
	On a non-related topic, a friend of mine has a copy of _Steal This Disk
2_.  There's a song on it by Birdsongs of the Mesozoic (Theme From Rocky &
Bullwinkle from the Sonic Geology album).  I wan't too terribly impressed with
the song, but it has one odd characteristic which we hadn't noticed for a LONG
time.  The song preceding this one on the disk wasn't too great, so we always
skipped to the beginning of the BotM song.  If you don't listen to it straight
through, then you don't notice that the BotM song starts at -1:32 NOT at 0:00.
Incedently, the song is only 1:29 long, which makes this "intro" longer than
the actual song (it's 1:32 of introduction of the upcoming song spoken forward,
backward, and a number of other bizarre manners, splashed together in a sort of
a musical collage...quite interesting).  My question is:  is this done on the
Sonic Geology disk as well?  Do they do this sort of thing often?  Has anyone
else done anything bizarre like this?
	Oh, and one last thing, way back (7-10 months ago) someone posted that
he had Kate's lyrics in *roff format.  I have since lost the message, but am
still very interested in getting copies of these.  Can anyone out there help me
out?  Thanks.
	And I'd also like to (so, I lied) publicly apologize for my derogatory
comments toward |>oug, made in my 1st posting mid last year.  He was extremely
helpful in transferring my subscription over to my new job, and his postings
have become less inflamatory (I must have caught him during a bad 5 months :-).
Besides, most everyone in my department here has heard of Kate (I don't know if
it has anyting to do with the postcards and CD covers on my bulletin board, or
my high-res background image {many thanks to Joe Habermann}, or the fact that I
made recordings for them or anything), and in keeping with my disclaimer (can
you remember, |>oug?), I hereby humble myself before our wonderful moderator...
somewhat.  But I still haven't given in on the Tenner thing, but let's not
bring THAT up again...it might last until Kate's album is released :-)
	And I'd like to (I think this is the end) ask Mr. Andrew "IED" Marvick
what exactly he meant by "Salve Sancta Kate".  (Sorry, I took French, and I
don't know too many multilingual people...as far as I can tell, a litteral
translation leaves me about this ->| |<- shy of your meaning.)  Or maybe I'm
just stupid (which IS a good possibility).

Regards,                                          (( I've been told, when I
                                                   (( get older that I'll
Michael Lamoureux (lamour%smiley@gateway.mitre.org) (( understand it all, but
The MITRE Corporation  7525 Colshire Drive         (( I'm not sure if I want
Mailstop Z531 McLean, VA  22102 (703) 883-5370    (( to.     -Kate Bush
                                                 (( "In Search Of Peter Pan"