Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: hocad!cjs@ULYSSES.ATT.COM
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 88 10:12 EDT
Posted-Date: Tue, 6 Sep 88 10:12 EDT

Subject: Re: sKinHead

>>  "Nearly puke when I hear Sinead sing 'I kill the Dragon for you'"???

>  Who CARES what she says?  The way she sings that line alone could kill
>  the weak of heart.  Sinead's voice is as powerful as Kate's, and I'd
>  compare "Troy" with "WtW" in terms of power.  (Well...maybe not
>  "WtW"...)

>  -MarQ

>  [	Well, *I* care what Sinead says.  It's just worth putting up
>  with a few clunkers to listen to her voice!  -- |>oug ]

Call me a fool.  But it was the that one line in Troy that caught my
attention on my first listening to Sinead.  I was so intrigued that
after it finished playing on the radio and they mentioned she'd be
playing in NYC, I rushed home and got tix.  And I haven't regretted it
yet.

Just to add some excitement to the conversations running here -- IF
anyone disagrees I think her first album is *much* better musically
than the highly acclaimed Traci Chapman album.  The only thing that
bugs me (yes -- |>oug, I agree) about sKinHead's songs are that the
lyrics are often shallow and popish.  Jeez -- Her track off the
Married to the Mob soundtrack doesn't do too much for women's
rights......the lyrics are something like: "I'd jump in the river if
you told me to, 'cause its a good idea" (O.K. -- I *know* this is not
an exact quote.  But I've only heard it on the radio).  But it is a
catchy tune and sKinHead's voice resounds in my head......

Well, maybe this is enough to start some type of discussion.
Meanwhile, It's back to work.....

-- C.J.