Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KapiTal leTTers

From: Richard Jennings <hpopd!richi@HPLABS.HP.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 88 13:58:04 BST
Subject: KapiTal leTTers
Posted-Date: Tue, 6 Sep 88 13:58:04 BST

Now let's just sit back and examine this a bit carefully, guys.

It appears to me (a mere resident of Kateland -- what would I know?)
that this whole argument that runs sort of...

  Well-Gaffa-must-be-something-special-or-it-wouldn't-have-an-initial-capital

                                               ...is a bit badly-thought
through (oops, sorry Doug, there goes my mail feed).

Random perusal of TD's lyric sheet reveals that 7 out of 9 tracks have
lyrics in them with "odd" initial capitals.  The most prevalent
though, is _The_Dreaming_:

	Kanga
	New Man
	Ore
	Devils
	Pull Of The Bush
and, (inconsistantly?)
	Pull of the Bush

Observation of where Kate uses capitals in the sheet could give at
least two possible perspectives:

1 ... Kate is using initial capitals incorrectly, in a way that might
      lead one to believe that her use of the written form is
      immature.  [this argument presented by my fiancee: a Kate lover,
      but not a love-hounds-type fanatic].

2 ... Kate is using initial capitals to denote words and phrases that
      she feels are somehow extra-significant, almost stereotypical
      sometimes (eg. "New Man" & "Eternity").  [my theory]

To save me from needing to don my Acme "AntiFlam" undies, let me reject theory
1 immediately (it don't fit the Big Picture, see).

                                            - oh look, Mother, I did it again.

Notice that this is referring to the lyric sheet in the UK pressing -- US
versions *could* be different I suppose ... but I doubt it.

richi.