Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: misc...

From: bucsb!buckaroo@WONKO.MIT.EDU (Buckaroo Banzai)
Date: 9 Aug 88 14:53:54 GMT
Subject: Re: misc...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!stephen%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@UUNET.UU.NET (stephen)

>        To me SiG represents a persons struggle to be what they want
> to be in life. Thus the continuous "I want it all", and "she can't
> have it all". The chorus is about the feeling that one has when one
> is trying to make their way through life, do the best they can, and
> everything seems to be against them. Everything is slow, nothing
> gets done or happens fast.  It feels like all creativity and ability
> are tied up - suspended in gaffa.  How would you feel trying to do
> something, suspended from a ceiling by gaffa tape.  Uncomfortable
> I'm sure. And gaffa tape is so damn sticky and strong.

>        In some ways the 2nd verse echos "Sat in Your Lap".  The whole
> idea of seeming to get somewhere, but in truth being at the start all
> over again.  Thus the "pull out the plank and say thank you for
> yanking me back to the fact that there's always something to
> distract..." Perhaps it's just the way I feel at the moment, in some
> sort of boring limbo, but that's the way the song comes over to me.

>	[ |>oug agrees with you exactly, and this is always been the
>	  meaning he has associated with the song.  He also thinks
>	  that theme of the lyrics is very similar to "Sat In Your
>	  Lap".  It's good  to see that there is another sane person
>	  out there!  -- |>oug ]

Hmm.  Maybe I missed it, but when did |>oug start talking about himself
in the third person?  Is this a result of his extended exposure to IED?

      [	|>oug has admittedly perused much written material by IED, his
	intellectual sparing partner on matters Kateological, but to
	maintain that IED's inimitable style is rubbing off on |>oug,
	would be an unsupportable and patently upsurd position.  --
	Douglas Alan ]

Alex must say, Stephen, that he very much agrees with your feelings about
Suspended in Gaffa, and is glad to see that there are some sane people out
there.

		--Alex