Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: misc...

From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!stephen%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@UUNET.UU.NET (stephen)
Date: 9 Aug 88 01:46:08 GMT
Subject: Re: misc...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> Also, are you sure that those KB videos are $125 or so each?  I picked
> up the Singles File here in Australia for about $30. The Live version
> is not that much more expensive. I can get them here at the Virgin
> Music MegaStore or other large music stores.
>
> 	[ Are you sure what you got wasn't "The Whole Story"?  What
> 	  type of TV signal do you use in Australia?  PAL or NTSC?  If
> 	  you use PAL, and you got "The Single File" for only $30,
> 	  what you have is probably a British import, which is much
> 	  cheaper than a Japanese import.  If you use NTSC, there is
> 	  also the possibility that "The Singles File" is manufactured
> 	  in Austrialia, which would mean that Americans wanting "The
> 	  Singles File" would want to get ahold of the Australian
> 	  import, rather than the Japanese import...  -- |>oug ]

	This is definately the PAL version of the Singles File. All of
Australian TV and Video is PAL. Only overseas video buffs ever bother
with NTSC. In fact, Australia has a better TV resolution than the NTSC
system.  It's all much nicer to watch.

	[ Ah, but it also only has a 50Hz scan rate, instead of 60Hz,
	  which means it flickers.  -- |>oug ]

	By the way, the other day I was listening to The Dreaming with
some friends, and looking at the poster of the album cover on my wall.
I was wondering (and had previously wondered) what the cover meant.
Then came the second last song on the Dreaming, and all was made
clear. It is from the song Houdini, how his wife would slip the key to
his fetters and chains into his mouth when she kissed him.

	I just can't stand the way you lot go on about nicking off across
the Atlantic to see KaTe concerts. Arggh! It's so far from Australia to
England. You have made this Australian truly jealous (half your luck you
bastards!). Can't wait for the next album.

	By the way, any other Australians reading this? I cant seem to find
the tWS video anywhere. All that is available here is the Single File and
the Hammersmith video. Does anyone in Oz have a copy?

Anyway, enough said for now, see yas around

					Stephen

 Stephen Nicholson		ACSnet:	stephen@uowcsa
 Dept. of Computing Science	UUCP:	...!munnari!uowcsa.oz!stephen
 Uni. of Wollongong		ARPA:	stephen%uowcsa.oz@uunet.UU.NET

[Oh mighty OGBO save us from sobriety and teach us a sense of the ridiculous]