Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

misc...

From: munnari!uowcsa.oz.au!stephen%uowcsa.cs.uow.oz.OZ@UUNET.UU.NET (stephen)
Date: 2 Aug 88 01:57:55 GMT
Subject: misc...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: 2 Aug 88 01:57:55 GMT

        First of all, Let me say this. A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to
Kate from the collective humans in Australia. It will take a while for
this posting to get there so it is a belated greeting.

        I have been watching with interest the conversation regarding
the meanings of "Suspended in Gaffa". Despite what has been said
before, this is the interpretation that I attach to it.  Perhaps it
has been said before, then again perhaps not.

        To me SiG represents a persons struggle to be what they want
to be in life. Thus the continuous "I want it all", and "she can't
have it all". The chorus is about the feeling that one has when one is
trying to make their way through life, do the best they can, and
everything seems to be against them. Everything is slow, nothing gets
done or happens fast.  It feels like all creativity and ability are
tied up - suspended in gaffa.  How would you feel trying to do
something, suspended from a ceiling by gaffa tape.  Uncomfortable I'm
sure. And gaffa tape is so damn sticky and strong.

        In some ways the 2nd verse echos "Sat in Your Lap".  The whole
idea of seeming to get somewhere, but in truth being at the start all
over again.  Thus the "pull out the plank and say thank you for
yanking me back to the fact that there's always something to
distract..." Perhaps it's just the way I feel at the moment, in some
sort of boring limbo, but that's the way the song comes over to me.

	[ |>oug agrees with you exactly, and this is always been the
	  meaning he has associated with the song.  He also thinks
	  that theme of the lyrics is very similar to "Sat In Your
	  Lap".  It's good  to see that there is another sane person
	  out there!  -- |>oug ]

        Another thing about the "backwards" section from the HoL
album.  I would agree that it is not a backwards mask. It doesn't seem
to have the backward sucking breathing sounds that are so common on
backward masked music. I may however try to digitise the music and
then reverse the waveform for the hell of it.

Also, are you sure that those KB videos are $125 or so each?  I picked
up the Singles File here in Australia for about $30. The Live version
is not that much more expensive. I can get them here at the Virgin
Music MegaStore or other large music stores.

	[ Are you sure what you got wasn't "The Whole Story"?  What
	  type of TV signal do you use in Australia?  PAL or NTSC?  If
	  you use PAL, and you got "The Single File" for only $30,
	  what you have is probably a British import, which is much
	  cheaper than a Japanese import.  If you use NTSC, there is
	  also the possibility that "The Singles File" is manufactured
	  in Austrialia, which would mean that Americans wanting "The
	  Singles File" would want to get ahold of the Australian
	  import, rather than the Japanese import...  -- |>oug ]

        Oh yeah, by the way, I picked up a nice large poster today of
the cover from "The Dreaming". I'm sure that will take pride of place
on my walls somewhere. $6 at the Uni here.  Not a bad buy.

        Just off the topic of Kate at the moment, I was listening to
my CD of "Incantations" by Mike Oldfield the other night. I found that
the 3rd track was missing its lead in. I have it on album and there is
about 5 minutes or so cut out. I was so pissed off. Anyone out there
have it on CD? Is it the same.  Mine is a Japanese CD.

        Anyway, enough for now, this is going to cost the Dept. a bit.

                                        Stephen...

 Stephen Nicholson		ACSnet:	stephen@uowcsa
 Dept. of Computing Science	UUCP:	...!munnari!uowcsa.oz!stephen
 Uni. of Wollongong		ARPA:	stephen%uowcsa.oz@uunet.UU.NET

[Oh mighty OGBO save us from sobriety and teach us a sense of the ridiculous]