Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Kate Bush Fans

From: nrt@CS.BROWN.EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 88 23:42:09 edt
Subject: Re: Hello Kate Bush Fans
Disorganization: Fnord Motor Co.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Posted-Date: Wed, 27 Jul 88 23:42:09 edt

>      [	Hey, if you are going to claim Kate as your favorite artist,
>	you should show good faith and own her best album.  Buy *The
>	Dreaming* and then you will know the significance of the name
>	"gaffa".  -- |>oug ]

Glad to see that *The Dreaming* is someone else's favorite Kate...but
I still don't know the meaning of "Gaffa."  Since it's capitalized, I
guessed that it must be some sort of place, possibly imaginary?  I
guess my question is: "Did the word 'Gaffa' have any significance
before Kate made it part of the catchiest tune ever?  (With the
possible exception of Midnight Oil's 'The Dead Heart') "

   (too many good lines from Kate songs to put one here.)

       Nick

      [	"Gaffa" is a European term gaffer's tape, which is the same
	thing as duct tape.  It is what musician's use to tape down
	wires and the like.  It is very sticky, and if you get stuck
	in it, it no fun at all.  -- |>oug ]