Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wuthering Heights, WOW, other femmes

From: bradley!bucc2!frodo@A.CS.UIUC.EDU (Pete Hartman)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 88 00:54:36 CDT
Subject: Wuthering Heights, WOW, other femmes
Posted-Date: Thu, 28 Jul 88 00:54:36 CDT

	I just did some re-listening and attention paying to the Kate
Material I've been making off-the-cuff comments about recently....
	I still really dislike _Wow_.  The majority of the melody is
monotonic, and the music backing it up doesn't help much to alleviate
it, and I myself had much more trouble swallowing two choruses of "WOW
(x6), Unbelieveable" than I did "I kill a Dragon for you".  But that's
just one opinion....generally, I'll take interesting music long before
interesting/"deep" lyrics.  I *DO* like the cover of _Lionheart_
better though...  :-)

      [	Well, you are certainly entitled not to like "Wow".  No one
	said you *had* to like it.  Personally, I also think "Wow",
	musically is one of Kate's very worst songs, and I much prefer
	the music to "Troy".  However, that doesn't mean there is
	anything wrong with the lyrics.  -- |>oug ]

	I stand corrected about _Wuthering_Heights_.  The vocal is
much more "mature", and yes, there are a lot of those neat (:-[) '80's
echo effects on the drums (and they sound bassier) and the guitar and
piano parts.....  I'm not sure which I prefer, actually....along
similar lines, since I pulled out the 12" to listen to it, what do
people think of the "long" version of _Experiment_IV_ as opposed to
the "album" version??  I had bought _The_Whole_Story_ originally
because there were about 4 songs I didn't recognize (all but one of
which turned out to be from _Never_for_Ever_ which has since become
one of the three vying for favorite status).  When I found I could get
all but one of them on another, unheard of (at that time) album, and
the one I couldn't get I didn't like much, I was pretty disappointed.
somehow, the MTV version of _EIV_ seemed better, but I couldn't place
my finger on it, and sold my copy of _TWS_.  Then I saw the 12" of
_EIV_ with the new vocal _WH_ and _December_Will_Be_Magic_Again_, and
I had to have it, and as it turns out, I *really* like the version on
the 12".  I think it's the long intro that gives a better feel of the
rhythm of the song, but I can't compare now, because I don't have
_TWS_ anymore.  Any comments??

      [	The 12-inch single version of "Experiment IV" is indeed much
	better than the album version.  -- |>oug ]

	on other musical fronts....

	has anyone heard anything by/about a band called "Throwing
Muses"?  comments good/bad??  I've heard one good song and seen one
great review, but they're not immediately available, and I'm unsure of
whether they're worth the hunt....Similarly, is there anyone who can
*try* to categorize Danielle Dax or compare her sound to things we're
all familiar with (like Kate, Sinead, Jane Siberry, etc.?)??

      [	Danielle Dax sounds kinda like a low budget Kate Bush.  She's
	also into the poly-ethnic rock sound.  She seems to have a
	thing for U.S. rockabilly, hillbilly, and country music on
	occasion, but fortunately, she keeps that to an acceptible
	amount.  She's pretty weird in general, and you can't go wrong
	by buying all her stuff.  Throwing Muses is excellent, but
	their sound is a bit too homogenous, so I can't listen to them
	hour on end.  -- |>oug ]

			...uiucdcs\
Pete Hartman		.....ihnp4 >!bradley!bucc2!frodo
			......cepu/

"and they all just thought I was just crazy"