Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate initiations

From: berns%lti.UUCP@BU-IT.BU.EDU (Brian Berns x26)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 88 14:50:39 EDT
Subject: Kate initiations

>>     Question : What's the first song (not limited to WH-I or -II) you
>> play for some-one interested in hearing Kate?  I almost always go
>> with WH-II or "Oh To Be In Love" as they seem to have the best mix
>> of accessibility and emotion.

> Gee, I play "Waking the Witch", because I want to scare
> their fucking brains out! -- |>oug

>      IED agrees with |>oug that "GOoMH" is a good choice, too. But
> personally, IED no longer attempts to perform any initiation rites
> unless the candidate expresses a real willingness to sit down and
> listen to the whole of _The_Ninth_Wave_ without interruption, without
> speaking, and without fidgeting, in a dark room, at MAXIMUM VOLUME.
> Otherwise, what's the fucking point? The way IED sees it, neither Kate
> nor the world at large needs any more "casual" Kate fans. What we need
> more of is FUCKING SERIOUS KATE MANIACS.

Oh...

You know, it's just a hunch, but I don't think that these methods
would work very well.  The idea, when introducing a new concept to
anyone, is to put _your_self in _their_ shoes, not the other way
around.  You can't just assume that someone will understand, you have
to teach.  It's a process, not an event.  It's a path, not a door.
Fucking etc.

I'm all for crazy passion abandon intensity etc., but it's not some sort
of contest to see who can "take it" loudest purest whatever.

Join the Marines.  "Kate Bush : We're looking for a few good men"

-- Brian [a "casual" Kate fan]

P.S. IED, _The_Ninth_Wave_ sucks (relatively speaking, of course).  Why
     not use HoL (the side, not the album) if you have to play that much
     at once?  Another good one is "Night of the Swallow".

      [	Well, I'll tell ya', if I had never heard of Kate, and someone
	had played for me the the A-side of *Hounds of Love*, I would
	have yawned and said, take off this wimpy pop drivel.  Put on
	Tackhead and CRANK it up!  So, you see, different people are
	drawn in by different things.  I would have gone nuts (and
	did!) for "Waking The Witch" or "Jig of Life".  I got into
	Kate earlier -- from *The Dreaming*.  I did so because I
	thought it was INTENSE.  -- |>oug ]