Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

inKubaTed pneumaTiKs

From: dhsu@SUN.COM (David Hsu)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 10:30:59 PDT
Subject: inKubaTed pneumaTiKs

	From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
	      (Jonathan S. Drukman)

	All right, it's true, in between Colourbox fixes, I slapped
	on...  (oh god, can I come out and say this in Public???)  THE
	DREAMING!!!  (Awk!  Gag!  It's the plumber - I've come to fix
	the sink....)  Yes, I admit it.  I was just curious to know,
	like, is it really the Greatest LP of All Time and I'm afraid
	the answer is a resounding YES!!!

Cry hallelujiah, for surely jsd has seen the light!

	...I must conclude that the big Mr. Moderator is
	totally correct about everything.

Let's not go overboard here tho' (okay, okay, so it's out of context)

	Subject: Wuthering Heights I vs. II

		[ The instrumental backing is the same, though it
		  seems to have been remixed a bit.  -- |>oug ]

Is it really?  I know this could have been more easily verified had
Kate chosen to list the performers' names in the "TWS" liner notes,
but it seems to me that there's more than just mixing involved here.
For one thing, the new version's instrumental sounds cleaner, although
the noise could have been processed out.  Okay, you could have even
mixed out that bagpipe like glissando at the beginning.  But Kate's
arpeggios ("so long I roam in the night" da da da, da da da) sure are
a lot slower in the new mix and in fact, her entire piano track is
more subtly timed.  The new version's drum track is also more...uh,
bombastic?  Which leaves us maybe the guitar and bass and violins,
which is considerably less than saying "the instrumental backing is
the same".

	Date: Tue, 12 Jul 88 14:29:44 -0400 (EDT)
	From: "William M. Bumgarner" <wb1j+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU>

	I haven't figured out how to set my name to Bill instead of
	William M.  William M. is my name, but the only time I use it
	is when I register for classes or get arrested.

andrew runs Unix, doesn't it?  Try
    setenv NAME "Joe Bob Briggs"

	From: Douglas Weiman <WEIMAN@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
	Subject: KaTching up

	I think we can all agree that this is _not_ what Kate meant by
	this reference, but since she, herself, claimed the song is
	about a person encountering the Divine -- who knows?  And I
	thought it was interesting...

John Waters filmgoers please take note :-)

	From: iuvax!att!whuts!0707dab@RUTGERS.EDU
	K. Crissey  -  0707dab@AT&T-BL

	"With my ego in my gut, my gnarling mouth would wash it up.
	 But now I started learning how - I keep it SHUT!" - KB

Isn't that "babbling mouth"?  And "I've"?

nitpicking,

-dave
dhsu@sun.com