Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

em tuohtiw uoy gnihctaw

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 17:53:34 EDT
Subject: em tuohtiw uoy gnihctaw
Posted-Date: Fri, 15 Jul 88 17:53:34 EDT

I don't think the message at the end of WYWM is backwards at all.  Joe
Turner and MarK T. Ganzer and IED had basically convinced me that it
was FORWARDS, but produced by kate listening to her forwards message
played backwards and then singing it that way so that when the tape
was reversed yet again the message she was singing was coming out in
the right direction, but the vagaries of singing it backwards had
added an unearthly timbre to it all.  Try it yourself with your trusty
four track!  Sing "and they said they were buried here..." or whatever
you think it sounds like and flip the tape - you'll find that you're
suddenly singing "we let the weirdness in" only because you couldn't
perfectly replicate the waveforms with your voice, you've got a very
weird sounding "we let the weirdness in".  I have done this, and it's
a bitch!  Only thing is, I can't quite recall what the consensus was
on what Kate was supposedly saying.  I'll go check out the track again
and see what I can come up with.  Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Jon Drukman                      University of Massachusetts
BITNET: jsd@umass                ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
"Nothing seems to please, I need contact!" -- peter gabriel