Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Television

From: pwa-b!mmintl!joet@MCNC.ORG (Joe Thornton)
Date: 9 Oct 87 01:44:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Television

> From: tpf@PYR.GATECH.EDU (Tom Friedel)

> What can anyone tell me about Television?

> Tom Friedel

About 10 years ago, Television was (it seemed to me) the leading band
of the American New Wave.  Their music was fresh, iconoclastic and
hard-edged (usually), but without the mindless self-destructive
element of punk.  They released two albums, Marquee Moon (out soon on
CD, I'm told) and Adventure, both masterpieces.

The group's leader was Tom Verlaine (presumably his initials gave them
the group name) who established himself as a guitar master and poet of
rock.  He has confirmed that status with five or six solo albums since
Television broke up in the late 70's.

Verlaine's guitar-playing is outstanding among his many skills.  It's
utterly inimitable, but it has influenced others (The Edge for one).
He hasn't sought commercial success, it seems, and certainly fame has
eluded him.  I must recommend his 1987 album, Flash Light.  Just like
in Television, it's nearly all just two guitars, bass and drums, and
Verlaine's voice.  His guitar-playing, his musical imagination and his
songwriting elevate the music to the highest plane.

Yeah, I like Television and Tom Verlaine.  Does anyone else?  If
anyone knows when/where he might be playing a concert (New York/
Boston area), I'd appreciate hearing about it.

***  Joe Thornton     {!philabs!pwa-b,!ashtate}!mmintl!joet