Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Television

From: moss!lzfme!ralph@RUTGERS.EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 87 13:16:35 EDT
Subject: Re: Television

Actually, Television broke up about 9 years ago.  They were one of
the first of the Bowery bands, coming out of the same scene that
produced Patti Smith, the Ramones, Blondie and Talking Heads.  They
released probably the second new wave/punk record in the country,
the groundbreaking single "Little Johnny Jewel", back in 1976.  (The
first, for anyone who's wondering, was Patti Smith's "Piss
Factory").  Television put out two excellent albums on Elektra,
*Marquee Moon* and *Adventure* before exploding in a clash of egos
in 1978.  There is also a live tape on ROIR that I have'nt heard
yet.  The band included Tom Verlaine, Richard Lloyd, Billy Ficca and
a drummer who I keep wanting to say was named Fred Smith, but he was
in the MC5, and I don't have my records here at work, so...  Richard
Hell (of "Blank Generation" and "Love Comes In Spurts" fame) was
also an original member, back in the days when they were known as
the Neon Boys (who were formed way back in 1971).

Television was mainly known for the intricate interweaved guitar
playing of Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd.  They were also known for
a tendency to engage in long jams, which led to them being known as
the "Grateful Dead of punk" :-).  This style has become extremely
influential among young southern pop bands like the Windbreakers,
et. al., who frequently cite Television as a primary influence.

Since the band broke up, its members have been engaged in various
other pursuits.  Tom Verlaine has released a fairly steady stream of
records over the years, first on Elektra, and now on I.R.S.  Richard
Lloyd spent a number of years strung out on heroin, but has beaten
his addiction.  A couple of years ago he released an album in Sweden
that sold more copies than any other Swedish record imported to this
country before finally being picked up by Celluloid.  He has just
released a new album, recorded live at CBGB's.  Billy Ficca played
with the Waitresses.  I don't know what he or ?Fred Smith? are doing
now.

I hope this information does someone some good.  Excellent band, and
a tragic case of great talent clashing with other great talent before
the public-at-large even noticed that they existed.

Ralph Brandi

---
    ====      | Disclaimer: Just `cuz I work on the Death Star,
 ==OOO=====   | that doesn't mean I speak for Darth Vader...