Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Television

From: Ray Shea <SHEA%rice.bitnet@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: 5 Oct 87 18:51:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Television

> From: root@ZELIG.SGI.COM (Superuser)

>> From: tpf@PYR.GATECH.EDU (Tom Friedel)

>> Someone just gave me a tape labelled 'Tuxedomoon / Halfmute' that had
>> some interesting 'post-punk' sounds.  I think it may be a group called
>> Television, that had an album in the top 100.

> [...stuff about Tuxedomoon...]

As far as Television is concerned, they were part of the 70's New York
scene at CBGB's that also spawned the Ramones and the Talking Heads.
They put out two albums, "Marquee Moon" (which is one of the finest
albums ever made) and another one whose title escapes me at the moment.
The broke up a few years ago.

Their lead man Tom Verlaine has put out several albums (the most recent
just saw domestic release on IRS).  I don't really like his solo stuff
as much as Television, but that's just my opinion.  Lot's of other
Television fans seem to like it just fine, although everyone agrees that
the quality of the solo stuff is not consistent.

The other guitar player Richard Lloyd kicked his heroin habit and put
out a good solo album two or three years ago, and I think another one
is due any time now.

Definitely check out Marquee Moon.

-------
Ray Shea (SHEA@RICE.BITNET)
KTRU-FM                   The opinions expressed are my own.  Obviously.
ICSA, Rice University
Houston, TX               "This is how I go when I go like this."--Steven