Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Peter Gabriel CDs

From: sun!clary!duane@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Duane Day [visionary or lunatic?])
Date: 9 Oct 87 17:24:22 GMT
Subject: Re: Peter Gabriel CDs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> From: garfield!sam@UUNET.UU.NET (Sam Mesbah)

> Does anyone know if the first two PG albums are available on CD?
> I've got from #3 up but I can't find the first two anywhere.

They are available as British import CD's only.  Virgin PGCD1 and
PGCD2.  (Love those catalog numbers).  They sound pretty great,
although there is the normal amount of analog hiss, and the flatness
of Fripp's production on the second album is very stark on CD,
especially when one listens to the two discs in sequence.

I don't know if there is any plan to release them as domestic CD's,
but I wouldn't be surprised.  At any rate, if you're like me and can't
stand to wait, then find yourself someplace that stocks import CD's.
Be prepared to spend $20 to $26 per disc, though.  (I think they are
worth it, myself.)

One criticism: PG2 does not credit the sidemen!  Both discs include
lyric booklets, though.

Also recommended for true PG fans is the import CD of Genesis'
_Foxtrot_.  Again, a little hissy - especially 'side one', but
"Supper's Ready" sounds great.  I can't recommend _The Lamb Lies Down
On Broadway_, however, even though it's one of my favorite albums; the
sound is horrible.  I think the master tapes on this album must have
been beyond repair.  The first disc (corresponding to sides 1 and 2 of
the LP) has a loud hum that is audible throughout the numerous soft
sections.  If Charisma/Virgin/Atlantic/whoever didn't at least *try*
to work some high-tech digital remastering magic on this album, they
should be *VERY* ashamed.

--
************************ |UUCP: {hplabs,decwrl,<many others>}!sun!misun!duane
..but one of the choices | COM: duane%misun@sun.com