Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate and XTC together

From: "Neil B. M. Calton" <nbc@VAX-D.RUTHERFORD.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 87 10:55:55 bst
Subject: Kate and XTC together

KATE 'N XTCSTASY

Browsing through a freebie magazine "Top" (Sept.) from Tower in London
I came across an interview with Andy Partridge (XTC, Dukes of
Stratosphear) which has some interesting revelations in it.
Apparently, XTC have just done a track entitled "Happy Families" for a
new John Hughes file called "She's Having A Baby". YES - the very same
film that Kate is supposed to have contributed a track to! Small world
aint it! BTW any confirmation on that Kate track anyone?

Also, Andy and Colin Moulding are putting together a Captain Beefheart
homage track for Alan Duffy, who recently put out an album of other
people covering Syd Barrett songs (which |>oug mentioned in this group
a while ago, and which I still have not seen anywhere). XTC are
covering "Ella Guru" from "Trout Mask Replica". Other artists to be
featured include REM and Sonic Youth.  The Dukes of Stratosphear may
also be covering "Humanoid Boogie" for another LP of Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah
Band tracks. (A Nick Drake homage album is also being made). The
Beefheart album may be out before Xmas.

If there is any interest, I could type in the interview when I come
back from my hols.

***

I was watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on TV again the other night
and was suddenly struck by the similarity between the scene where the
Nazis open the ark and the spectral figures appear and change from
angelic forms to deadly furies, and Kate's Experiment IV video when
the Kate-figure changes into the monstrous ghoul. In both films there
is the same effects of these blueish images swirling around the
victims whose faces fisrst show fascination and then fear.  Has anyone
discussed this before (I was off the net for a while when the video
was first released).

***

reach you mail address (till I sort out my BITNET access problem).

> ... Francois Truffaut ...  I have the soundtrack albums for three of
> his movies: "Confidentially Yours", "The Last Metro", and "The Woman
> Next Door".  Do you know if Delerue did the music for "The Bride
> Wore Black"?  Also, are you by any chance interested in Delerue
> yourself?  ---Scott.

The music for "The Bride Wore Black" was by Bernard Herrmann. As well
as the films you mention Gerges Delerue also composed the music for
Truffaut's "Tirez sur le Pianiste (Shoot the Piano Player)" 1960;
"Jules et Jim" 1961; "Antoine et Colette (episode in L'amour a vingt
ans - Love at Twenty)" 1962; "La Peau Douce (The Soft Skin)" 1964;
"Les Deux Anglaises et le Continent (Two English Girls)" 1971; "Une
Belle Fille Comme Moi (Such a Gorgeou Kid Like Me)" 1972; "La Nuit
Americaine (Day for Night)" 1973.

Hope that helps: I have no string interest in Delerue but I do like
Truffaut's films.
Neil.

Be seeing you.