Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KB and "Journey"...!?!

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 7 May 86 01:41:43 EDT
Subject: Re: KB and "Journey"...!?!

> From: A. Marvick

> In reference to recent inexplicable comments published recently
> regarding "Not This Time": first of all I must state flatly that
> this track sounds absolutely nothing like "Journey".

Well, sure the vocals are distinctly Kate, and add some value to the
song, and there is elephantotic distortion on the guitar that Journey
would never use, but in general it has the melodic, rhythmic, and
over-produced characteristic (you know, the way that lots of
instruments all merge to create a muddled wash that is so common in
Journeyish AOR pop) of American corporate rock.

I'm not the first person to notice this either.   Before the single
was available here, I talked to Peter Morris in England.  He said
"People don't know what to make of 'Not This Time'.  They think Kate
is trying to do an American FM AOR song, like Boston or Chicago."
After hearing this I was all set to hear a cover of "More Than A
Feeling" done with Aborigine drums and Uillean pipes.  Now *that*
would have been cool!

> Second, it is extremely similar both in terms of production and song
> structure to Kate's other anthem-style Hounds of Love b-side,
> "Burning Bridge".

I don't think that "Burning Bridge" sounds anything like "Not This
Time".  I think "Burning Bridge" is really good!

			"I know what works for me"

			 Doug