Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB and "Journey"...!?!

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Sat, 03 May 86 16:23 PDT
Subject: KB and "Journey"...!?!

In reference to recent inexplicable comments
published recently regarding "Not This Time":
first of all I must state flatly that this
track sounds absolutely nothing like "Journey".
Second, it is extremely similar both in terms
of production and song structure to Kate's other
anthem-style Hounds of Love b-side, "Burning
Bridge". I assume that these two recordings sound
so much alike because they represent Kate's quickest
and least polished new "demo" style of recording,
done in her new studio with the core of her band
and a very fast, OTT over-dubbing of her own voice
in the huge final choruses. The recording is nevertheless
completely unlike anything heard on commercial radio,
not only in the strange melodic twists in verse and bridge,
but in the disquieting hysteria of the final choruses, as
well. Doug has reacted unexpectedly to new Kate Bush
material in the past, as with "RUTH"; I am surprised that
he hasn't learned that her music often demands a slow
assimilation by the listener over time, but that such time
is invariably well spent. This is not to say that
either "Burning Bridge" or "Not This Time" are crucial
parts of the KB oeuvre; only that heated and irrational
references to "Journey" are as unwarranted in one case as
in the other. P.S.: Have my messages of the past few days
been getting through?