Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

TK ni segassap sdrawkcaB

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Tue, 06 May 86 20:53 PDT
Subject: TK ni segassap sdrawkcaB

The precise location of the "backwards" track in "Watching
You Without Me" is at bar 64, ending at bar 78 (12 bars);
this translates as from 2:19 into the track to 2:48 (30
seconds). I think Paddy's entertaining demonstration of
how a backwards track is done was too simplistic.  There
is more going on here than simply learning the way a phrase
sounds when played backwards and then singing those sounds,
recording the vocal normally. First, there is Kate's tendency
to distort the sounds as she records them, through God knows
how many bizarre devices (the harmonizer being only one of
many, I am sure). Second, there are the odd echoes of rhythm
that can be heard behind the vocal when the record is played
normally, which sound very much like truly "backwards" tracks.
This would not be the case if all the sounds had been "learned"
and then recorded normally. A similar "backwardsiness" can
be detected in the "weirdness" passage from "Leave It Open".
This brings up the third and I think most important reason
for distrusting Paddy's simple explanation, namely, that
words do indeed seem to come out of the "weirdness" passage when
it is played backwards. After all, Kate seemed to be playing
a joke on fans when it turned out the "weirdness" message
was a forwards message after all. Isn't it likely that she's
playing a joke now, as well? The problem is, we're ready for
her, and she knows it; therefore, I'm convinced, the new puzzle
is somehow more complicated than the first one.
Heard forwards, these are the phonetics I'm hearing (these are
*very* tentative): "Zwoh neekh lawv zwoh neekh lawveet" (rest)
"eeb vee nahd widthawng ee noy" (repeat)
N.B.: The music book wrongly begins this passage at bar 65, one
of dozens of such errors to be found within the "official"
transcription.
This passage is then succeeded by what I believe is a separate
message, the one which consists of the repeated message "Really
see," or "We receive," or "We recede".
Can anyone make sense of any of this?
-- Andrew Marvick