Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Close-minded DJs at parties (FLAME)

From: Bob Knight <KNIGHT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Date: Fri 1 Nov 85 13:32:01-PST
Subject: Re: Close-minded DJs at parties (FLAME)

Jordan - I agree re the radio around here - I love it!  KFJC and KZSU keep
me completely satiated (I don't believe I can get ALX and USF in my office
here at SRI, which is where most of my radio listening takes place).  I
recently moved back here from a veritable radio wasteland - New Mexico.
There's a station there, KUNM, that used to be great, but now is controlled
by a minority faction that believes that whatever is played must be politically
and socially relevant, especially regarding Central/South America and the
Chicano community.  This means that new, interesting music is rarely played,
and the one specialty show, Rock Nouveaux, that deals with such music, is three
hours in length and hidden away on late night Wednesday.  The rest of the
spectrum there is complete dreck.

Thanks for your comments regarding JJ, DB, et al.  I agree regarding JJ's
failures (even his failures are quite interesting, though - I would place
Body And Soul in that category, too).  Seems to me this group discusses a
lot of artists that are uncompromising regarding their work and not afraid
to take chances with music.  Is this, perhaps, the common thread that makes
these artists attractive to us (aside from musical talent)?  I think, in
large part, that it is.  So, the question then becomes: If, say, one of
these top 40 artists or groups refused to feed the machine, and attempt to
do something completely new, would it work?  In other words, are formula
and talent orthogonal realms?  I suspect so (I've heard some of these
efforts, and they are losing, by and large).

'Course all of these ramblings may be just so much bulls**t.  Talent may
be well distributed across the spectrum, being misused in one part and
well used in another.

Bob
-------