Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Close-minded DJs at parties (FLAME)

From: hsut@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 85 13:32:29 EST
Subject: Close-minded DJs at parties (FLAME)

Really-from: the usually mild-mannered Bill Hsu

	Last night was Halloween, so a few friends and I went around to
some parties in the area. I had a tape with Bauhaus' "Bela Lugosi's Dead"
with me, so we could at least hear one good Halloween dance song. The first
place we hit was the token Halloween party at a large graduate dorm
(name withheld to protect the guilty). After a half hour of the regular
Top 40 tunes, none of which are up to Bela Lugosi's Dead in danceability
or just plain overall quality, I went up to the DJ to request it. OBVIOUSLY
they didn't have a copy of it, and the DJ who was doing all the talking
listened to my tape for about a minute. Then he let his cohorts in
uncultured tastelessness listen to it and they gave me back the tape
and said they can't play it. After another 10 minutes of musical mediocrity,
we couldn't take it any more and left. I did request the song at one
other place we went to, but they didn't have a tape player (RIGHT....)

	I've just about had it with this place. Most people playing music
at parties have the mentality that if they play music that other people
have heard on the radio before, it will be appropriate and well-received
(at least the DJ won't get any S**T for it). Everywhere we went that night
we heard the same old dreck. You'd think that people would tolerate a
little weirdness at Halloween, not to mention play a great tune that
can't be more appropriate for the occasion, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I guess there are two ways to solve this problem:

1) Move away from Indiana to some place where they play good music at
   parties, e.g., Chicago, NYC, Boston
2) Only go to parties run by people I know who enjoy good music

	FLAME OFF

	So, does anyone else have similar experiences they want to flame
about? What did you guys do for good music over Halloween?

				Bill Hsu