Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Your Son is coming Out of My House

From: Matt Humphrey <stock@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:22:49 +0000
Subject: Your Son is coming Out of My House
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi gang!

In this whole Cloubusting/gay (and now Get Out of My House/rape) song
interpretation thing, I think everyone is forgetting one thing:

Kate tends to have *layers* of meanings.

It isn't simply a matter of finding the *one* meaning Kate intended;
good heavens, a great deal of her work is based on puns,
double-meanings and such (The entire song "Babooshka", for instance,
is a play on the double-meaning of the word).

I believe that Kate has said that Get Out of My House was inspired by
the Shining, but some of the lines seem very much like the "house" is
a metaphor for a body.  Couldn't it be that clever ole Kate had
several layers of meanings going?

Same goes for Cloubusting.  I don't know the specifics of Peter
Reich's life (although I do know that his Pop had some wacky ideas
about sex!!!).  The song is "based on" his book, but that doesn't mean
that Kate didn't allow herself creative license.  The fact that she
cross-dresses in the video is interesting, and as a gay person, I can
certainly see parallels to homosexuality in the song (what made it
special, made it dangerous).  It is quite possible that all of these
things are metaphoric, that she is operating on a bunch of different
levels, and there are many meanings bleeding through at once.  Isn't
it?

Matt

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Heights/2088/noodle.html

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." --Frank Lloyd Wright

"Believe those who are seeking the truth, doubt those who find it."
--Andre Gide