Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Pretence (was : I'm so glad I'm multi-lingual)

From: Albert Lust <Albert.Lust@nlzdmfsc.origin.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 19:53:55 +0100
Subject: Re: Pretence (was : I'm so glad I'm multi-lingual)
To: Don <fastslow@IDT.NET>
CC: Love-hounds@gryphon.com

Don wrote:

> >But then, the whole thing would of course be really pretentious and
> >contain no good singles at all, so there would be a lot of new
> >opportunities for you there! :-)
>
> I don't think so. It takes a looooooong time to get pretentious. I don't
> think T9W could've been put together in less than a month...but "Sat In You
> Lap" could be. I'll bet that if you told Kate, "You have two months to come
> up with 16 songs or you have to take a job at Pizza Hut," that you'd get a
> nice set of immediate-sounding music that would be among her best and least
> pretentious.
>
> - Don

I don't quite get this last bit. My statement was : if it really was a
triple album or double CD we could expect something with a lot of
pretence and you would probably shoot holes in it judging from earlier
statements.
You start off your answer with "I don't think so" and then state that
you prefer your music non-pretentious, just as I suggested.
Could it be that we are actually agreeing on something Kate-related
at last?

Albert

P.S. - In your notes you often walk a thin line between irony and
bluntness. Usually I have to smile when I read them, but my feeling
is a lot of people don't always recognize irony that well, and
feel offended by it.
Please be careful, otherwise this mailing list might become very
quiet (quantitively that is).....