Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Get Out of My House

From: "Renee Rosen" <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:06:31 +0600
Subject: Re: Get Out of My House
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lilitu@mail.cjnetworks.com>

On 12 Nov 97 at 11:01, Brian Dillard wrote:

> saying, "Woman let me in"). Kate attempts to batten down the
> hatches, but then her flight takes a different form--transformation,
> first into a bird, a delicate creature of the air, and then into a
> beast--the Mule.

This is very similar to the British folk song "Two Magicians" (a.k.a.
"Oh Coal Black Smith." In that song, the female character is pursued
by a male character and both transform themselves various times. In
this song, it's very clear that the female is trying to avoid rape.

I remember when I first got on Lovehounds there was discussion of
some song Kate did that was similar to or inspired by "Two
Magicians." At the time, I didn't realize this was the same song (or
at least the same lyrics) as "Oh Coal Black Smith" by Current 93, so
I didn't pay that much attention to what Kate song was being
discussed. I don't think it was "GOOMH," but my memory isn't always
the greatest;>

I'm fairly certain someone said she was inspired in one of her own
songs by this folk song. As someone who was raised around trad folk
music, she would most likely be familiar with this song anyway even
if she didn't directly cite it as an influence. Even if she didn't
directly connect it with "GOOMH," the parallels are there.
Renee Rosen                             "Transylvanian Concubine,
lilitu@cjnetworks.com                    You know what flows here like wine.
Goddess in Training                      Stay here with us, it's just time.
Astrud and Kitto on irc                  Transylvanian Concubine."
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~lilitu                    --Rasputina