Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-34 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Yoko (was Re: Yoko-enthusiast Ann Magnuson

From: "Renee Rosen" <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:23:33 +0600
Subject: Re: Yoko (was Re: Yoko-enthusiast Ann Magnuson
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lilitu@mail.cjnetworks.com>

On  6 Nov 97 at 14:52, Progbear wrote:
>      Ick! Does ANYONE like her sappy ballad stuff? Just *thinking*
>      of "My Man"
>  thrusts my blood-sugar levels dangerously high.

I hope not! But I'm sure someone out there does.

 For me, her last good song until the Yoko/Ima album
>  (can't remember the title offhand) came out was "I'm Moving On"
>  from _Double Fantasy_. It seems you ought to like _Double Fantasy_
>  since you like "Kiss Kiss Kiss" (I didn't).

I have a tape of _Double Fantasy_ and the other one she did with John
with alternating tracks. I like about half her songs on there on
average. Been a while since I've listened though, since I don't listen
to tapes that much.

I highly recommend the
>  new album (with IMA), it really rocks! "Ask The Dragon" is her best
>  song in a long time!

Yeah, I heard a track either off it or the remix cd, and I wanted to
get it. I don't know the name of the song--I just heard it on the
radio once (college radio).

Considering you like "Yangyang", I'd recommend
>  _Approximately Infinite Universe_ and _Feeling The Space_. _Feeling
>  The Space_ is the best bet, probably; it's shorter and has a
>  greater percentage of good tracks ("Coffin Car" is another
>  favourite).

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to look into them.

> >I noticed a bunch
> >were rereleased recently. Are there any you would >recommend?
>
>      Hmmm...hard to say. Her early stuff (like _Fly_ and _Yoko
>      Ono/Plastic Ono
>  Band_) was still very entrenched in avantgarde music, and is not
>  dissimilar in style to other avant-garde vocalists of the time
>  (like Cathy Berberian and Meredith Monk). That stuff is very
>  strange, but if you have the stamina for it, very rewarding as
>  well. The infamous "Don't Worry Kyoko" dates from that period,
>  which a friend of mine correctly observes "seems to be the only
>  Yoko Ono song anyone has heard".

Well, I can take experimental (I like Meridith Monk, at least what
I've heard by her, and I also listen to various avant-garde music from
Harry Partch to Nurse with Wound). Just as long as I don't have to
hear cheesy ballads! *g*

Thanks for the suggestions (from everyone who's posted them)--now I
have even more excuses to go CD shopping. (Like I need an excuse.
*g*)

Renee Rosen                             "Transylvanian Concubine,
lilitu@cjnetworks.com                    You know what flows here like wine.
Goddess in Training                      Stay here with us, it's just time.
Astrud and Kitto on irc                  Transylvanian Concubine."
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~lilitu                    --Rasputina