Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di

From: Jean-Luc Delcoux <jdelcoux@sckcen.be>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:17:00 -0700
Subject: Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: Don <fastslow@idt.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, alt.fan.elton-john

Don wrote:

> Jean-Luc Delcoux wrote:

> >"Candle in the Wind" was a tribute to Marilyn and no one had any right
> >to change this, even EJ himself. I am very surprised and shocked nobody
> >seems to figure it out.

> I'd love to know what you think you've figured out.
> EJ did not write the lyrics to the original nor do the rewrite.
> The credit/blame belongs to Bernie Taupin.

I do know the famous EJ/BT tandem. They did a fine work when they
created the original "Candle in the Wind". It seems today their
inspiration is lost.

> Also, I don't live in Belgium, but I think that, even there, a person has
> the RIGHT to change the lyrics to a song he wrote.

   You have the right to put your finger into your nose.
   You have the right to say Hitler was a great man.
   You have the right to claim the earth is flat.
   You have the right to send Oscar Wilde to jail.
   You have the right to serve the beer hot.
   You have the right to read "The Sun".
   You have the right to make us eat your mad cows.
   You have the right to never wash yourself.
   You have the right to kill a lot of people in the Falklands.
   You have the right to say Kate is unable to sing.
   You have the right to...

Yes, there are a lot of things you have the *right* to do.

> Hey, if Marilyn doesn't like it...let her complain.

What about EJ and BT? At least they are still alive. I am not sure they
need your help.

Jean-Luc