Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Biggest Chill?

From: mcolville@nospam.net (Matthew M. Colville)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 01:04:58 -0700
Subject: Re: The Biggest Chill?
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

   Hnmm. . .this is a good question.  I'm not sure if any Kate lyric has
sent a chill through me in the sense you mean.  I had to go get all my Kate
albums just to make sure I didn't forget something.  I go through 'cycles,'
and if I'm not in a Kate cycle, then I don't do a good job remembering the
details.

   Ok, I guess Experiment 4 had a certain impact that I'd describe as a
chill, and I mean that in the sense you meant it, not in the eerie, Call of
Cthulu sense.  I mean, there are lots of her songs that really blew me away
when I first heard them.

   Ok, wait. . .I've got it.  Moments of Pleasure.  Hands down.  Moments of
Pleasure definately impacted me viscerally as it was playing.  If I had
been standing up when I heard that song, I would have needed to lean on
something, as my brow furrowed in frustration at not being able to absorb
everything the song was saying to me.
   Moments of Pleasure is also, incidentally, the closest I think Kate
comes to Wind & Wuthering style Genesis.  Particularly, Blood on the
Rooftops, my favorite song ever.  In fact, if you were a Kate fan, and I
was not, and you knew I liked Blood on the Rooftops, you could probably
guess that I'd like Moments of Pleasure.

   Mind you, lots of her music has had a big impact on me.  Much of it in
the 'I've got to hear this another billion times" sense.  In fact I have,
perhaps illegally, used some of the lyrics to Love and Anger as a section
separator in my as-yet-unpublished novel.  Hopefully the book will get
published, and hopefully she won't sue me.  It's a good quote and it shares
company with Jethro Tull and John Adams.

--
Matthew M. Colville            mcolville@earthlink.net
Diplomat/Sage/Dunedain     Unaligned Monk Philsopher