Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The ninth wave

From: "John Williams" <ducati900@bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 15:05:00 -0700
Subject: The ninth wave
To: "love-hounds" <rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net>

l'm finding it quite difficult to write about this piece, it has been such
an intrical part of my life in the last twelve years l thought l would have
no trouble giving my interpretation, it may be too important to me, but l'm
going to have a crack at it anyway.
                         ln all my listenings to the ninth wave it has
never occured to me that the girl in question may have survived her
experience, at least physically anyway.Spiritually she has soared, l don't
really understand this need to live through to the next day.To me this is
about coming to terms with the death experience.lt seems to me that death
is part of life and that the thought of death should help us to focus on
life, not keep us from it.
                         Therefore you don't need to survive drowning for
it to be an uplifting experience, tragic and traumatic for those left
behind and also for you not being able leave your loved ones the way you
think you would like to, but very few of us know we are going till it is to
late to do any planning.For me Kate was working above the mundane with this
work, at a higher level, The Morning Fog is a song of acceptance , l can
see where you are coming from with the idea of waking the next day and
finding you had survived and rejoicing, but l don't think it's necassary we
all hope to rejoice either way.
                       l know l haven't explained myself very well l'll put
some more thought into it l really should have a better idea of what this
means to me than l've written here, l've experienced this music rather than
analized it, what l do know is that this music has helped keep me alive and
the hundreds of times l have listened to it,it never dulls or wears.
                                                John.