Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jewel Bush?

From: Mystyglass@webtv.net (Cynthia Glasson)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:00:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Jewel Bush?
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Ok, this has NOTHING to do with Jewel, she doesn't really do much for me
as an artist at all but I have an interesting story and perspective to
share here...

The first time I ever heard Tori Amos on the radio, I thought, oh wow,
this is really a different twist for Kate, she's really reading religion
the riot act...and quite frankly, I dug it because I'm not a religious
person, so I enjoy different takes on religion. But I did notice the
voice in the song wasn't really as high as Kate's but pretty damn close,
that's true...then I heard the dj say "Tori Amos" and I'm
like...hmmmm....overly derivative?

I went and bought the single so as not to take a chance on the album,
the single being "God" as all those familiar with Tori have probably
gathered by now...well, she played the piano, as Kate also does, true,
but Tori's playing really
BLEW ME AWAY(to put it lightly). It was nothing less than stunning...she
had actually just written a couple of short suites and included them on
the single...and they had their own flavors, emotions, and stories to
tell...to be frank with you, Kate's piano playing never had the same
emotional impact on me...but anyways...

I went and bought "Under the Pink" and was quite impressed with its
originality, its artistry,
its mood and emotional impact and I was impressed with the fact that,
no, this was not overly derivative...let me put it this way. I have all
of Kate's works to date and all of Tori's works to date, and the two
images I have of these women are just that, TWO separate images. I have
seen concert footage of Kate and it consists of much more choreography
and theatrics from what I can tell, which is totally cool on its
own...but I've seen Tori in concert 3 times, and I can tell you from
experience that
she SITS AT A PIANO for nearly the whole show! I know Kate's earlier
work was more piano oriented, but she kind of wandered away from
performing solely on the piano...she is also a DANCER.  Trust me, Tori
does very little, if no
dancing at all...I mean the differences are so obvious here if you just
look beyond the immediate and also obvious similarites....yes, they BOTH
play the piano...yes, they BOTH are sopranos. Duh. You have to do your
homework
and at least collect all the facts before snapping your cynical fingers
and pigeonholing an artist like that! Remember, I thought it was Kate
taking a different turn at first too!

Now I realize that I am making perhaps a very unfair assumption myself
when I say to the person who originated this post (I'm sorry I forgot
the name) that they've never really heard any of Tori's material and
that they've never done their homework...if you have, I apologize, you
have a right to your opinion whether I agree with it or not...please
correct me if I am in error.
But most of the people I know who have come to this conclusion have just
heard the radio songs or just listened to one of her albums one time all
the way thru and jumped straight to the "copycat" label. And if this is
this person's case, then they haven't really been listening, or watching
for that matter and have closed the coffin on enjoying anything new or
different...and if they really bothered to listen, they might realize
that Tori really is doing her own thing...musically, lyrically and
performance-wise.

And to this person I say hey, just because you've grown up doesn't mean
you should never have to do homework again...

Ok, I'm done preaching, had to get that off my chest...now I'd like to
introduce myself now that you've heard me go on for an hour ( please
don't hate me for being an impassioned Tori fan.) Hello fellow Kate
fans...my name is

Mystyglass

"Curiousity didn't kill the cat, it was a poisoned pen..but there's not
much choice
between a cruel mouth and a jealous
voice..."- Elvis Costello