Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My failed attempt

From: Graham Dombkins <gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 23:29:01 +1000
Subject: Re: My failed attempt
To: "Lovehounds" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>, <Tereza2000@aol.com>

G'day all,

Tereza2000@aol.com sez...
>I don't even try anymore to get my friends into Kate.  I've never had one
>successful attempt.  I think maybe she is something that a person has to
>discover on his or her own (i.e. like on a various artist CD as I discovered
>her -Greenpeace- or in She's Having a Baby as someone I know discovered her).
> Maybe she's too much for people to handle initially in a strong dose like a
>full CD or a video.  I usually get the "she's too weird" attitude.  If the
>music is "weird" her video interpretations must seem even weirder to the
>Kate-deprived person, so maybe that was your mistake :)  Maybe one day Kate
>and Violent Femmes will end up on the same various artist CD and your friend
>will discover our fabulous Kate herself ;)

Gee, from the sound of it a lot of you have had some trouble introducing
KaTe to friends. I, on the other hand, have done quite well in this. I
suppose it's because I "plan my attack" carefully. My music collection is
wide and varied. I can usually find *something* in it that others like.
So what I normally do is basically have a good-old late nighter
music-a-thon.

I get the victu... err.. prospective new KaTe fan :-) to bring over their
music and we sort of swap songs and talk. If they can tell me an
interesting story about a particular piece of music I then might quickly
do the same with a KaTe song. It's important to really listen to what
they have to say about their music (hey, I've discovered lots of cool
stuff this way) I find it easy to get enthusiastic right along with them.

Another thing to do is take your cues from them. If their interest wavers
then it's time to move on or maybe tell them more about the music as it
plays. KaTe has a wide enough range of songs and styles to find
*something* that a new listener will find non-threatening.

If, by the end of the night, I haven't converted a new KaTe fan, I have
at least introduced them to her and they leave with a greater
understanding and at least (I hope) some respect for her and those fans
who love her.

            \___/

<mailto:gaffa@ozemail.com.au>
<http://www.ozemail.com.au/~gaffa>
"one day my keyboard will learn how to spell!"