Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK (Separating L-H/R.M.G)

From: pdCampbell@goodyear.com (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:43:08 -0400
Subject: Re: MisK (Separating L-H/R.M.G)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams), wisner@gryphon.com

The following ideas are NOT well thought-out, so please BKtMM!

[Our fearless moderator said:]
> >Also: someone recently suggested divorcing Love-Hounds from
> >rec.music.gaffa.  I am willing to consider this.  Comments?

To which, On Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:04:20 -0500 (CDT), chrisw@wwa.com
(Chris Williams) responded:
>     No, no and no! *Please* don't cut the connection.  New fans
> can discover Love-Hounds via rec.music.gaffa. Given Kate's productivity,
> we *need* a constant influx of new blood.
I've heard this before, but is there any evidence, empirical or
otherwise, to actually SUPPORT the argument that R.M.G is an important
source of new philocanines?  And if so, does that mean it will continue
to be a valuable resource?

Personally, I came in via the mailing-list (as documented in the
Internet Yellow Pages book, IIRC), in March 1995.

>    rec.music.gaffa divorced from Love-Hounds would soon become
> just another spam-filled Usenet music group with no posts from
> anyone except befuddled newbies.
...?

A message could be regularly posted for the newbies: "Leave here now, go
directly to Gaffaweb or L-H" (see below).

BTW: Is there a way to "kill" newsgroups?

>    Love-Hounds divorced from rec.music.gaffa would soon
> become just another insipid chatty mailing list of "insiders".
There may be other ways to the keep the waters churning.

Has the creation of Gaffaweb provided a new and BETTER source of the
"new blood" that you desire?

Is there a "guest book" type system (maybe even that supports message
threads) which could be put onto Gaffaweb and perhaps have L-H tied to
*that*?  Can you imagine SPAMmers logging onto web sites to stuff their
crud into guest books?  I don't think that would happen, certainly no
time soon.

Hasn't the web become the newbie vehicle of choice, anyway?

I'm certain now that I've seen discussion web sites that maintained
threads of conversations.  I'm not sure if it would be easy to tell what
messages had been added to a thread since the last time you visited the
site (would a cookie be able to serve that purpose?).

>    The combination of a mailing list gatewayed to a moderated Usenet
> group is powerful, and (IMO) is the way of the future. Bi-directional
> gateways may be the only thing that can *save* Usenet. L-H/r.m.g
> is a *wonderful* example of how well it can work (the last few digests
> only prove how well the barbarians have been kept out, people!)
Saying USENET news has a future at all is a bold statement.  Of course,
saying it is in imminent danger of collapse is also a bold statement.

>    To paraphrase Frank Zappa: The suggestion to separate Love-Hounds
> from rec.music.gaffa is, in this context, the equivilant of treating
> dandruff by decapitation.
Or perhaps treating gangrene by amputation.

"It is this that                      pDaleCampbell
 brings us together."                 pdc@acorn.net
KT - - - - -   u m o p   a p ! s d n   - - - - - KT