Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: heisjohn@juno.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:18:27 -0400
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Chris wrote:
>   Sometimes we've discovered things on crappy systems that huge piles
>of very expensive audiophile equipment have failed to reveal. The
>first time I recall clearly hearing "...what about Edward G?" was
>on a really crappy stereo. It had little frequency range outside
>of speech and no stereo seperation to speak of, so it made a
>monophonic, spoken part stand out clearly.

Yep, I've experienced a similar phenomenon, most notably on Godley and
Creme's masterwork, "Consequences".  Peter Cook carries on a hilarious
dialogue throughout the entire 3 record set.  When played through a
crappy system, the limited frequency range makes the spoken words really
stand out.  But when played through a decent system, Godley & Creme's
elaborate (and subtle) orchestrations come through, providing an entirely
different listening experience.

>   I wonder if a letter writing campaign to EMI could prod them
>into releasing high quality versions of *all* her albums. I
>NEED a copy of "The Dreaming" with the same quality as this recent
>re-release of "Hounds Of Love. Not want. NEED.

And I'm still looking for the *PERFECT* TKI.  I have 18 copies and still
haven't found it yet (but the Japanese box set CD is real close...).

>   Of course I also need "The Kick Inside", "Lionheart", "Never For
>Ever", "The Sensual World" and "The Red Shoes". EMI has the choice
>of either: waiting (like us) or finding some way of selling us the
>same thing twice. They tried that with the Box Set and blew it by
>fobbing off crap "Nice Price" versions. And still we bought it!
>Resentfully, but we bought it anyway.

Yah, I still remember how terribly disappointed I was to find one of
those cheesy "Fame" pressings of Lionheart in my box set.

John