Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:16:12 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

HeIsJohn wrote:
>Ron wrote:
><major snippage>
>>So what is the "best" recording, from the standpoint of accurate
>>reproduction, may not sound as "natural" as you would like it to. With
>>such a highly produced work, you may find that you like a rendition of
>>it that obscures some of the sharper manifestations of all that
>>technology.

>Yep, this is exactly what I was referring to.  The fourth and fifth order
>harmonics you get from HoL on an old boom box in an empty gym are pretty
>awesome :-)

   Hehe!

   ...but seriously...

   Sometimes we've discovered things on crappy systems that huge piles
of very expensive audiophile equipment have failed to reveal. The
first time I recall clearly hearing "...what about Edward G?" was
on a really crappy stereo. It had little frequency range outside
of speech and no stereo seperation to speak of, so it made a
monophonic, spoken part stand out clearly.

   I wonder if a letter writing campaign to EMI could prod them
into releasing high quality versions of *all* her albums. I
NEED a copy of "The Dreaming" with the same quality as this recent
re-release of "Hounds Of Love. Not want. NEED.

   Of course I also need "The Kick Inside", "Lionheart", "Never For
Ever", "The Sensual World" and "The Red Shoes". EMI has the choice
of either: waiting (like us) or finding some way of selling us the
same thing twice. They tried that with the Box Set and blew it by
fobbing off crap "Nice Price" versions. And still we bought it!
Resentfully, but we bought it anyway.

   I, for one, would be happy to fork over $30 per to get really
top quality versions of the rest of Kate's music. And if someone
at EMI were to "accidentally" include some rareities (like the
happy accident that gave us the "bongo" version of "December
Will Be Magic Again") so much the better. Of course, if EMI could
do the Box Set that Love-Hounds designed, I'd buy that in an
instant!

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago