Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 13:04:20 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: MisK
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>> Wow! I just received 6 digest in one hit. Is there something strange
>> going on with the list server.

>No, there is something going on with the moderator.

   ...who should be thanked for all the work put into maintaining
Love-Hounds/rec.music.gaffa.

>> P.S. Why do we suddenly have so much spam? Is there anyway to cull the
>> crap out?

>Based upon the fact that Love-Hounds has been entirely spam-free for quite
>a long time now, one might reasonably assume that there is, indeed, a "way
>to cull the crap out" and that the recent aberration was precisely that.
>One would be correct.

   The absence of spam was hardly mentioned. "Look how few wolverines
are in the living room!" Based on how much spam is in all the other
newsgroups, the spam filtering has been amazingly effective so far
and I am sure will soon be again.

>Also: someone recently suggested divorcing Love-Hounds from
>rec.music.gaffa.  I am willing to consider this.  Comments?

    No, no and no! *Please* don't cut the connection.  New fans
can discover Love-Hounds via rec.music.gaffa. Given Kate's productivity,
we *need* a constant influx of new blood.

   rec.music.gaffa divorced from Love-Hounds would soon become
just another spam-filled Usenet music group with no posts from
anyone except befuddled newbies.

   Love-Hounds divorced from rec.music.gaffa would soon
become just another insipid chatty mailing list of "insiders".

   The combination of a mailing list gatewayed to a moderated Usenet
group is powerful, and (IMO) is the way of the future. Bi-directional
gateways may be the only thing that can *save* Usenet. L-H/r.m.g
is a *wonderful* example of how well it can work (the last few digests
only prove how well the barbarians have been kept out, people!)

   To paraphrase Frank Zappa: The suggestion to separate Love-Hounds
from rec.music.gaffa is, in this context, the equivilant of treating
dandruff by decapitation.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago