Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: headset

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 00:41:30 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: headset
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>hello
>	has anyone ever heard of any connection with K. Bush and the
>"hands-free" headset microphone? maybe that she was the first to use
>them in a performance, perhaps? She didn't play a role in inventing them
>, did she?

   She did! In the "Kate Bush On Tour" TV film, Kate talks about how
she wanted "...something like a telephonist's headset". Her soundman,
a Scottish fellow, built it out of a coat hanger and a small tie-tack
type microphone. It looks like a Sony ECM-50. It definitly was not
off the shelf. I was doing sound at the time, and I believe she was
the very first person to use one. I consider Kate the inventor of the
performance headset microphone.

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago