Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ian On Kate

From: Murray Browne <murray@magna.com.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 23:10:30 +1000
Subject: Ian On Kate
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Lovehounds,

Just thought I would forward on a few more comments on Kate from Ian
Bairnson of the Alan Parsons band.

<< P.S. I wonder if Ian could comment on his recollection of "playing" beer
 bottles for a recording. What was that like? Was it difficult? Whose
 idea was it to use beer bottles?  >> (Ian played these on TKI).

Ah.. the heady days before samplers and synths! We simply wanted the sound of
tuned bottle blows so we drank the contents a little at a time until we got
the tuning to the correct pitch ... and I can't remember much after that.
Seriously though, it was a nice spontaneous thing to do. It sounded good in
the track and tasted quite good too. Try getting a result like that from a
sampler!

As far as other Kate Bush stories go, I have many.
1. The day we started the album I had a plaster cast removed from my left
wrist from a trials bike tumble. (See web page soon).
2. For many years I hated the solo I did on "Wuthering Heights".
   (I can't believe he said this, it's one of my all time solo's)
3. I have a hand made birthday card from Kate.
4. She actually liked the sound of my voice and I did a lot of backing
vocals!
5. The most recent discovery is that John Beck (our new keyboard player) lost
his virginity to the sounds of "Wuthering Heights". He actually went a bit
red when he realised it was me who played that - maybe he felt like I was
there at the time!!!

Regards

Ian B

   Cheers