Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

What Happened to Love Hounds???

From: "DJH" <donna@math.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:18:43 +0000
Subject: What Happened to Love Hounds???
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

Crime-ma-nelly!!

Ever since I started posting to Rec.Music.Gaffa via the Love Hounds
Mailing list, I have had SPAM problems.  Ick.  I hate SPAM.
Processed Head Cheese...

NOW something has happened and the SPAM is comming from the Mailing
List!!!!  What the heck happened???  I would like it to stop, if
possible..  What do we have to do?

I would also like to propose the following:

1)  If we continue to post to RMG from LH, can the posts to RMG have
some sort of SPAM guard on the "reply to" field.  When I post to
other newsgroups (using Forte Free Agent) I use a simple spam guard.
 (altered e-mail address that person replying has to edit before
using.  SPAMBOTS cannot use such an e-mail address - yet)  How
difficult would it be for the LH-Bot that verifies subscription to LH
to post to RMG with spam guarded e-mail... I'm not a news group
expert, but this seems like it SHOULD be doable.

2)  If the above is not possible, could we consider divorcing RMG
from LH?  the time lag from LH to RMG is at such a period that I
hardly ever check RMG for postings.  I think that in most cases
limiting LH to a basic mailing list with exposure from Gaffa Web
should be sufficent.  It would also eliminate SPAM.  Ick!  I HATE
SPAM!!!  THEN if one wishes to post to RMG, they could use the normal
process (with or without spam guard) and when reading the newsgroup,
can choose to skip the spam.

I had some other ideas, last night when I couldn't sleep from fear of
SPAM piling up in my mail box... ICK I HATE SPAM (but did I already
mention that??)

Whadda all think??

d~

SHIT=SPAM

"I don't know why I give in, but I do every time.
And here I am wondering why I did it again.
Too-ree-ay, too-ree-o, too-ree-ay, too-ree-o, too-ree-ay's what I say
     To keep me going, To keep the shit away."  Kate Bush