Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Kate vs. Diana

From: Wendy Collinson <wendy.c@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:58:18 +-100
Subject: RE: Kate vs. Diana
To: "'lovehounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

	Kbfreakc wrote:

The wisdom of Kate's conscious decision to avoid the media and not to become
just another celebrity is now apparent.  See where Princess Diana's thirst for
celebrity got her.  Now she's dead.  I find it very interesting the
relationship of
talent and brilliance to who is meritorious of celebrity and how this has
worked in
Kate's favor.  Princess Diana, who was a relatively talentless cutesy
air-head and
a former member of the Royal family, is admired and mourned by millions;
yet, Kate Bush, who has given the world more than Diana ever thought of, is
relatively
ignored.  Brilliance is ignored while mediocrty is Glorified!  Ain't the
world a twisted place.  I hope I never live to see Kate Bush's death, but
when than time comes, she definitely deserves a state funeral.  Kate has
character that Diana only wished she had.

Hmmm, I agree that the Diana's awful death has brought home the impact of media intrusion far more effectively than any one or anything else could and it's a symptom of the media's appropriation of Diana's "character" that such glib comments are made about her life and her passing.

However anyone felt about her, she was a real person who died in a tragic car accident, like so many others have.  Is Diana any less deserving of some respect in her passing as others are, despite the controversy of her life?  Her celebrity (sought or bestowed) and her humanity brought attention to a great many good causes and she was also a devoted mother - let's forget the eulogising about her frocks and all the other crap and let her rest in peace and think about the kind of contribution we can make.

And Kate having a state funeral?  I don't think she'd want one, do you?  But there I go again, making assumptions about someone I only know through the media.

Wendy