Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"I'm in your garden, fading fast in your arms"

From: Karen Dean <s_kgdean@eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 10:23:25 +1000
Subject: "I'm in your garden, fading fast in your arms"
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 16:36 5/09/97 -0700, John D. Walker wrote:

>What happened to Princess Di last Saturday was horrible. I never really
>paid that much attention to the royals, but Di was a pretty cool person
>despite her faults and her poor taste in men. I am saddened by her death.
>
>That being said, am I the only person who finds EJ's reworking of "Candle
>in the Wind" forced, contrived, and more than a little distasteful?

Well, as devastated as I am by Diana's death, my tiny remnant of cynicism
agrees, John.  Others have asked which Kate song seems most relevant in
this situation.  After the vision of the flower-strewn journey home, I
could only think:

"oh, England, my Lionheart
dropped from my black Spitfire to my funeral barge
give me one kiss in apple-blossom
give me one wish, and I'll be wassailing
in the orchard, my English rose
or with my shepherd, who'll bring me home"

Karen Dean