Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: oz 2

From: moonboots@earthling.net (Boots)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 20:15:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: oz 2
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>From my admittdly limited understanding of it, Oz (the original story
of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz) was political, basically about the
gold standard. One crucial thing changed --the ruby slippers were
really silver slippers.

I may be in need of some serious medication, but here's what I get
Scarecrow = farmers who the politicians wanting to do away with money
back by solid assets considered to be stupid (If I only had a brain
Tin Woodsman = Unionized factory workers (considered to be Heartless)
The others I can't remember off-hand, but I sort of remember reading
(like 10 years ago) a paper on this association. What credibility it
has, I really can't say, but I remember reading the story after that
and some other Oz stories and thinking how political they all
were...in the same vein as Swift's Gulliver

I'll go sit in the corner now, my beloved dunce cap is waiting

boots