Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di

From: Don <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 19:34:54 -0400
Subject: Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di
To: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 7:36 PM -0400 9/5/97, John D. Walker wrote:
>What happened to Princess Di last Saturday was horrible.

And predictable. Alcohol + speeding + seatbeltless = Death. This is a
no-brainer.

>I never really
>paid that much attention to the royals, but Di was a pretty cool person
>despite her faults and her poor taste in men. I am saddened by her death.

I feel sorry for her friends and family. I'm sickened by the overreaction
of those that only know of her public image.

>That being said, am I the only person who finds EJ's reworking of "Candle
>in the Wind" forced, contrived, and more than a little distasteful?

First of all, the reworking of the lyrics -- and the original lyrics --
were written by Bernie Taupin, not Elton John. Second, I must say that even
though I don't like Elton John and found Princess Di to be no more or less
interesting than any other celebrity (Zzzzzzzzzz), I was actually choked up
by the performance. Hey, this guy knew her...he had a reason to be sad.
It's the people that treated her poorly (Prince "Tampon" Charles) that I
found truly disgusting, plus the weirdos that never met her, yet considered
her more family than family.

>Just wondering,

And now you know.

- Don