Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MIMED Digests

From: "Ronald W. Garrison" <rwgarr@intrex.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:59:25 -0400
Subject: Re: MIMED Digests
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
To: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris Williams wrote:

> In rec.music.gaffa you write:
>
> >Is IED the only person who gets about every other Digest in
> >"MIME"-encoded format these days?  Someone or something is putting
> >something in Love-Hounds that needs a MIME decoder to be
> >seen, and the last three that IED downloaded didn't do the trick.
> >Whether the whole Digest is encoded or only specific postings,
> >the result is that the entire thing becomes unopenable here.
>
>    Without looking closely, I believe it's due to some people
> posting using Netscape's awful "Communicator" mail program.
> Apparently, it defaults to sending mail as HTML. This is a
> valid MIME type, and apparently the digester is forced to
> MIME the entire digest.
>
> >Is it strictly necessary to be MIMEing the Digest these days?
> >If so, could someone explain why, and also please identify an
> >inexpensive Mac-compatible decoder that really works?
>
>     Or everyone could just turn that wretched "HTML mail"
> crap off. Please, please, please...submit messages to
> rec.music.gaffa/love-hounds as PLAIN ASCII.
>
> --
> Chris Williams of
> Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
> chrisw@miso.wwa.com (his)
> vickie@miso.wwa.com (hers)

=========================
OK now I'm *am* puzzled. I just checked my NS4 settings, and found, to
my surprise, that indeed I *am* to send HTML by default. And I thought,
*GASP* have I been embarassing myself all this time in front of the
*WHOLE WORLD* without knowing it? But wait--this version has been on my
system about two months, I've seen dozens of my posts show up in
newsgroups, zillions of e-mails between me and others, and--no problem.
I send a message to myself and, sure enough, I can look at the source
code behind the message, and it's HTML. So I'm not sure what's really
going on here. Since NS didn't apparently see fit to explain this in
their docs (which I *have* read, for the most part), could someone
please straighten me out on this one?

Sorry to get off the topic of the newsgroup, but this is an issue of
some public importance.

--Ron